Going on holiday ought to be enjoyable and amazing however sometimes disagreements with your ex partner can lead to arguments and conflicts or worst holidays being cancelled. Countrwide Family mediation is best for vacation arrangements call us today!

Holiday Arrangements For Children when parents cant agree

Countrywide Family Mediation can help couples work out the issues with a trained, experienced mediator.

During a divorce, it is likely that the last thing the couple or the children themselves are thinking about the holiday arrangements. Then down the line, when everything else has been arranged, it can be frustrating and awkward to try and make a booking that all parties are happy with. As well as this, there are legislation’s in the UK which has been specifically designed to ensure everyone is kept safe and happy.

There are a few mediation methods and laws that can help you if you are having trouble in your area, but there a few main questions you may have regarding this.

If I do not have consent from the other parent, am I still able to take the kids on holiday?

The answer to this question depends on whether you have a CAO, or a Child Arrangement Order. If you have one, then you are able to take the child on holiday for up to one month. If you do not have one of these, then all of the parents will need to consent to the child going on holiday.

Would I be able to take my child away for the entire six weeks holiday?

Even if you do have a CAO in place, unless you have consent from all of the parents you cannot take the child away for the entire six weeks holiday or any length of time that is over one month. With a Child Arrangement Order, the maximum amount of time you can take a child away for is one month. See our FAQs

Family mediation services are more so becoming the norm today in settling disputes. Reasons for this might include maintenance payments and long-term divorce settlements.

What do I need to do if my child is nearly 18?

If your child is 16 or 17, you still need to have a CAO to take them on holiday without the other parent’s consent. The legal age for an adult in the UK is 18, so all laws to do with child custody take this into account.

If the other parent refuses to consent, where does this leave me?

It can seem like there is not a lot of option for you if the other parent entirely refuses to grant the holiday. You do have some choices readily available to you though. The first option is naturally to attempt and pertain to an arrangement. The best method to do this is to learn why the other moms and dad has such objection to the vacation. See our charges for mediation.

From there, you can possibly attempt and find out a solution. If it is even if of the missed out on contact time, perhaps you can exercise an arrangement to make this up when you return?